Our Auxiliary membership now stands at 241 consisting of ladies and men, young and elderly. This organization works very hard to support Myrtue Medical Center giving thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours every year. The Auxiliary helps the medical center in many ways, some of which include:
- In February of each year we host a Valentine Tea for all staff of the medical center.
- The Auxiliary helps with blood analysis screening sessions both in the spring and fall each year. In winter of 2018 the auxiliary gave over 141 volunteer hours.
- The bakeless bake sale in April made a profit of $1,432 and is used for scholarships to area students.
- The Spring Fling is fundraiser where the community enjoys a chicken dinner and bakesale held annually in April.
- Each spring during Health System Week, first graders from area schools attend POP (pediatric orientation program) tours of the hospital which are scheduled and led by the Auxiliary.
- Education is very important to the Auxiliary. Their goal is to give five scholarships for $800 each to area students pursuing a healthcare career each year. This happens in May annually.
- In September the community looks forward to the annual bazaar which is a luncheon and craft fair. This is one of the main fundraising events, this year bringing in over $2,500.
- The annual gift shop Holiday Open House is held the first part of November with many gifts available to purchase and cookies and coffee for shoppers to enjoy.
- The Tree of Lights is held in December where ornaments may be purchased in memory or in honor of someone and placed on a Christmas tree in our lobby.
- Auxilians visit patients not in acute care, providing caring conversation and offering magazines or whatever help they can.
- The Pediatric Gifts Committee sends children 12 & under home with a stuffed animal.
- The Newborn Stocking Hat Committee knit hats and send each new baby home with a stocking hat.
- Look Good/Feel Better provides cancer patients with wigs and helps them with their make-up.
- The Gift Shop offers a variety of reasonably priced gifts for visitors and staff.
The items the Auxiliary donated to Myrtue Medical Center this year from funds they raised included:
- Soft touch bowtie seaing (set of 4) in Behavioral Health
- Table and chair set with storage in Behavioral Health
- Farm wall activities in Behavioral Health
- Anatex pathfinder wall activity in Behavioral Health
- Parrot wall activity in Behavioral Health
- Lead apron in Diagnostic Imaging
- Lead glasses in Diagnostic Imaging
- 5 overbed tables in Medical/Surgical dept
- 2 orthopedic recliners in Medical/Surgical dept
- Veinlite EMS Pro with carrying cae in Medical/Surgical department
- Sibling/visitor bench in OB
- Thermometer in Oncology
- High/low powered exam table in Outpatient Specialty Clinic
- 2 stethoscopes in Outpatient Specialty Clinic
- Toys and books in the Emergency Room
- Broselow Complete Set of Procedural Modules in Emergency Room
- Sleep sacks for all new babies born at MMC
We are proud to have such a wonderful caring group of volunteers who work in many areas of the facility giving of their time and efforts to make the medical center the outstanding healthcare organization that it is. If you would like to be a part of the Auxiliary, please call 712.755.4316 and ask how you can help.
Hospice Volunteer Services
The volunteer program is an important part of our Hospice team. They provide support and companionship for patients and families, do respite care and they do personal or business errands for the family. They may help with general office work. All volunteers working with patients and families are required to attend a scheduled training program. If interested in becoming a volunteer for Myrtue Medical Center Hospice, please call 712.755.4308.