Public Health encompasses many health care services for you and your family, some of which include:
- Learning for Life
- Homemaker Program
- EPSDT/Child Health/Hawk-i
- Blood Lead Testing
- Smoking Cessation
- Blood Pressure Checks
- Immunization Program
- Iowa Breast & Cervical Cancer Program
- Maternal Health
- Vaccines for Adults
Our offices are located at 2712 12th Street in Harlan.
Call 712-755-4308 for more information.
Learning For Life (click here for brochure)
The Learning for Life program is offered through Myrtue Medical Center’s Department of Community Health. Would you like to:
- Give your child the best possible start in life
- Give your child a solid foundation for school success
- Increase your confidence and knowledge of child development and parenting skills
- Share experiences and receive support from other families with young children.
The programs are primarily funded through the Tri-County (Harrison, Monona, and Shelby Co.) Early Childhood Iowa Project. The Learning for Life program follows the Parents as Teachers curriculum and it is designed to offer developmental information and support to all parents of infants and young children (prenatal to kindergarten entry).
Learning for Life provides:
- Personalized home visits with a specially-trained parent educator
- Health & developmental screening for your child
- Group meetings for you & your family
- Instruction on child nutrition and family budgeting
- Help with understanding your child’s behavior
- Information about & referral to other community services
- Free books and toys.
If you have any questions or would like to join and you live in Shelby County (no income qualifications apply!), please call Rhonda at 712.755.4422 – we would love to sign you up or answer any questions that you might have.
Sign up for Shelby County/Alert Iowa Alerts! In the event of an emergency or severe weather, an alert will be sent to the phone number and/or email address provided by voice, text and/or email.
This is a free service provided by Shelby County and the State of Iowa, however, normal message fees may apply. To receive text messages to your cell phone, your cell phone must have text messaging capabilities. Notifications are dependent upon external providers and as such receipt of notifications by the intended recipient cannot be guaranteed.
Alerts sent from Shelby County will originate from 69310 for text messages, (712) 555-5555 for voice notifications, and email@example.com for email. Please be sure to save these in your phone and/or address book.
In order to receive both text and voice alerts, you must enter your cell phone number twice. Select the “Text” option the first time and the “Voice” option the second time.
The purpose of Early ACCESS Iowa is to assist families in connecting with Early ACCESS and community-based services that address specialized child and family needs through a user friendly system.
Call toll-free: 1-888-IAKIDS1 or 1-888-425-4371
You work hard to make ends meet. That’s why Iowa offers hawk-i health care coverage for uninsured children of working families. No family pays more than $40 a month. Some families even pay nothing at all.
Call toll-free: 1-800-257-8563